Asthma Information > Hayfever & Rhinitis » Perennial rhinitis - Avoiding indoor allergens
Perennial rhinitis - Avoiding indoor allergens
If you have perennial rhinitis and are allergic to the house-dust mite, the following
tips may help:
- Use barrier covers for your bedding. Contact The Asthma Society for advice on which covers to buy.
- Hot wash (at 60°C) all bedding at least once a week.
- Vacuum frequently using a high-efficiency vacuum cleaner with a Hepa-Filter. The Hepa-Filter is a filter which is much more effective at capturing the house dust mite.
- Dust regularly with a damp cloth.
- If you don't already own a pet, think carefully before getting one.
- If you already have a pet, keep it out of the lounge and bedroom areas and bathe it regularly.
- Give up smoking and don't let others smoke in your home.
For further information, click to download our 'Asthma & Allergic Rhinitis' booklet.